I’m proud to announce my diploma thesis completion. Diploma topic was „Developing automated functional tests for a new Intercollege Study Information System using Selenium framework“. I chose a codename for the work – “bloody November sleeplessness”. The codename completely describes what writing was (wasn’t?) about.
The hardest part was to choose a topic. I had a few in my mind –
- Extending Selenium Web Testing Automation Framework for better efficiency
- Applying Selenium Web Testing Automation Framework
- Applying automated web testing using Selenium Framework
- Examining Selenium Web Testing Automation Framework
- Examining Automated Web Testing with Selenium Framework
- Examining Agile Automated Web Testing with Selenium Framework
- Developing Effective Automated Web Tests with Selenium Framework
- Applying Effective Automated Web Testing using Selenium Framework
I had little experience to go with “extending” and “examining”. So I decided to go with “applying” and “developing”. The latter went to be a better word. Since the meaning of “effective tests/testing” is quite doubtful and not objective, the word was dropped.
At the ITC I was given a form, where I supposed to write my thesis goal, 5 conditions and 5 problems it was solving. These were the fundamentals my work was based upon.
In my work
- I introduced software testing and software testing types to the reader
- I described software testing pitfalls and how test automation can help
- I compared different functional testing frameworks and described Selenium
- I borught a ‘system’ on automated testing
- And finally I made a testplan and partially developed automated tests upon it
PHP could be the language of choice for the tests, since it was used in the project (ISIS). TestNG, on the other hand, is a very very interesting framework thanks to its skipping-not-falling attitude. The latter, actually could be done in the Selenium IDE itself through an user extension and/or smart test planning.
I was also very disappointed by default Selenium packages not working with Firefox 3 and Selenium RC not running the Selenese tests correctly. The latter involves buggy variables handling – seems they don’t transact from one testcase to another like in Selenium IDE 😦
You can read the English summary and look at the tests here. I believe I’ll translate some parts and publish them here as time passes by. Adios!